Friday, 28 March 2014

Followers of Honour and Darkness ... #8


It might be a bit misleading of Nazgul to record our latest victim - *ahem* 'volunteer' - as a follower of Honour and Darkness in this case, for as you will read the featured fan only recently came across the Blog's existence.  That said, James (for it is he) is a keen and loyal devotee of Hugin's music and as a brief interview with him is well worth the time it will take you to read it!  Nazgul only found out of James' existence during the recent visit of Hugin to these shores, and it turns out that James is based not a huge distance from the hulking edifice that is Castle Nazgul.  Who would have thought another ardent collector would have lived so near by?!

As ever, Nazgul hopes you enjoy reading about the predilections of a fellow Huginophile, and should you wish to become part of this occasional series then please do drop me a line at the usual address.


Q1. Hello! Tell us your name?
A1.  James (Jed)

Q2. Whereabouts in the world do you live?
A2.  Sussex, in England: close to many haunted forests!

Q3. Your age?
A3. 35 and some days older, lol

Q4. And what do you do for a living?
A4. I don't work due to disability.

Q5. Your favourite style of music?
A5.   I like most types of music but my main loves are black metal, ritual sounds, and Tolkien-music.

Q6. Whilst being a keen fan of Hugin, who are you favourite other bands?
A6.  Fear of Eternity; Burzum; Motorhead; Delain; Eluvitie; Dark Sanctuary; Karjalan Sissit; Valar; and all bands by my bro' Edgar Kerval (two of his bands are Emme Ya & The Red Angle, his music is awesome ritual sounds!) [this shocking use of free advertising has not escaped Nazgul's attention!]

Q7. The very first album you ever bought...?
A7.  It was "Experience" by The Prodigy

Q8. ...And the latest album you have bought?
A8.  Arcane Art - "When The Gods Die"

Q9. What's your favourite food?
A9. Stir fry veggies, with hot chillies garlic & onion.  Ummmmm!

Q10. Your favourite film?
A10.  The Star Wars films (I'm sure they are based on a true story from the past???!)

Q11. Your favourite book?
A11.  'The Demonic Connection' by Toyne Newton - an awesome read & all true, I remember it well; Clapham Woods is a 30 minute drive from my house *


Q12. How long have you been reading Honour and Darkness?
A12.  I've only been reading the Blog for a few weeks, so I found out I was missing out on a awesome part of Alex's music history.  There is so much info on here, all of Alex's great work!  [Well, I try, and how kind of you]

Q13. Where and how did you discover Hugin's music?

A13. I think I first found the band Uruk-Hai when I bought a split tape with some other band on it. I can't remember the other band as the Uruk-Hai tracks were far better!  Then about a year later I bought a CD on Discogs and found out it was Alex himself that I had bought from, after which I started buying boxes of music from the main man!

Q14. Do you follow any particular project(s) of Hugin, such as Uruk Hai, or all of them?

A14.  I follow and collect all of Alex's bands, they all have their own life & style.  You can pick a different band to listen to depending on your mood.

Q15. How many items do you think you have in your collection of Hugin memorabilia?
A15.  I have about 185 CD's or tapes across all Alex's bands.

Q16. What was the last thing you bought that Hugin released?
A16.  At time of writing this I have just purchased 5 CD's: Uruk-Hai "The Battle" and "Tawantinsuyu", the split with Odium, the split with Gorthaur, and the 4-way split with Uruk-Hai/Onyx/Ringbearer/Black Jade. Of these, the ones a have played so far are magical!

Q17. What is your favourite release from Hugin's discography to date, and why?

A17.  Uruk-Hai's "Cirith Ungol" - the special extended edition is a great adventure!

Q18. What items/release(s) do you most treasure in your collection of Hugin's stuff?  Do you have any unique one-off and/or very rare items, for example?
A18.  I have a copy of uruk-hai "Natt Skogen" on CD, only 33 copies made, an amazing CD!

Q19. Are there any particular releases of his that are you looking for?
A19.  Not that I know of but one day I may list all I have and see if I can talk Alex in to checking to see if I am missing anything!  That is a long job, lol

Q20. Do you have a message for Hugin?
A20   Alex, brother, your life's work is a magical ride and I hope we are still in the early phases!  I am sure you are booking a place in history with your commitment to the art of music. Every time I get a package from you it is a great day! Loudest hailz & horns up!!!

Q21. Do you have a message for your fellow Honour & Darkness readers?

A21.  Fellow readers, what we have here is a one off!  Alex's music is a hell of a magical ride. I don't know if there is a plan as to where these music projects will take us: I don't ask, I am happy to be going along with the ride!  All the bands have a spirit of their own, so if you haven't heard some of them I urge you to check em all out. Hailz to all!!!!

Many thanks to James, and good luck with getting that list out of Hugin!


* For those as intrigued as Nazgul was, here's the story: The book in question and the subsequent Clapham Wood mystery refers to local folklore surrounding Clapham Wood, West Sussex, England. Paranormal enthusiasts believe the area to be a locus of UFO sightings, Satanic cult activity, deaths, and lost or sick pets.  

According to Fortean Times magazine, reports of UFO sightings, claims of nausea, sudden patches of grey mist, and sensations of being pushed or followed have been made since the 1960s, as well as a number of reports of pets being sick or lost in the area. Four deaths have occurred either in or close to the woods. In 1972, missing Police Constable Peter Goldsmith's body was found hidden in a patch of thick bramble. In August 1975, missing pensioner Leon Foster was found in the woods by a couple searching for a lost horse. In 1978, the missing Reverend Harry Neil Snelling's body was found by a Canadian tourist. In September 1981, the body of Jillian Matthews, a homeless schizophrenic was discovered, having been raped and strangled.

In their 1987 book The Demonic Connection, authors Toyne Newton, Charles Walker and Alan Brown claimed that the woods were used for rituals by a Satanic cult calling itself the "Friends of Hecate".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.